Links, tools and gadgets

Thursday, June 30, 2005

My Collection - DC COMICS PRESENTS [1978 Series]

DC Comics Presents [1978 series]
60 issues [1978 - 1986]
2 - 3, 8, 10, 12 - 14, 17, 19, 22, 25 - 52, 54, 56 - 61, 63 - 64, 66 - 71, 81, 84 - 87, 96 - 97


DCCP was the long-running team-up comic featuring Siegel & Shuster's creation Superman and a good percentage of the DC universe. It was a book I enjoyed quite a bit, as I like the more obscure characters in the DC universe, and this was the first place I saw a lot of them, especially during the period that they ran "Whatever Happened to..." as a back-up, catching up on characters who hadn't been seen in years.

I picked up the book for a couple of years in the early 1980s, and subsequently picked up a few back-issues from earlier and later than the run I had, based on what looked interesting. I could probably stand to get rid of about half of what I have, but at the same time I really should go over the issues I don't have and decide which I want based on the creators or characters, which would probably bring it back up to as many issues.

Noteworthy in the 97 issue run:

#26 - the preview of New Teen Titans, much more about that series later, and a good Green Lantern team-up

#43 - Curt Swan, Paul Levitz, the Legion of Super-Heroes, Darkseid Mongul, that's some fun. Did Levitz ever write Superman solo? That would have been interesting to read, he seems to have an interesting take on the character based on his crossover stories

#59 - Superman and the Substitute Heroes against Ambush Bug, probably my favourite of the Ambush Bug stories. I espcially liked Giffen's pseudo-Shuster Superman.

#84 - Kirby and Toth bring you Superman and the Challengers of the Unknown.

#85 - A sidenote to Alan Moore's SWAMP THING run, with art by Rick Veitch and Al Williamson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]