Links, tools and gadgets

Saturday, January 01, 2022

Usagi Yojimbo #5 [1996] (Random Comics Theatre)

Random Comics Theatre


Usagi Yojimbo #5 [1996]

A nice standalone issue in the long-running still on-gonig samurai comic by Stan Sakai, early in the third series (currently it's on the fourth series, from IDW). The story this issue is "The Chrysanthemum Pass", opening with news of a plot to assassinate  Lord Miyagi who is travelling to vote against a trade deal which would benefit Lord Hikiji, the evil Lord who has long been in conflict with our hero Miyamoto Usagi (being responsible for Usagi's ronin status)

Usagi himself is in the middle of his wanderings which take him down the picturesque Chrysanthemum Pass, which happens to cross with the path of Miyagi's procession. As you'd expect, he winds up part of the conflict, which also features the return of the mole ninja clan not seen since the early days of the series.

A nice little story building on some of the past of the series and planting a few plot elements which will come back in the future. It's been a while since I've read an issue of Usagi, and this reminds me of how much I always liked it. I think I'll try to re-read most of the 200+ issues I have in the next few months and then decide if I want to catch up with the current series (which, wow, is already up to #24? I'd have guessed it was up to #10 at most. Time flies when the world is in a pandemic...).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]