Links, tools and gadgets

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Doctor Strange - Into Shamballa [1986] (Random Comics Theatre)

Random Comics Theatre


Doctor Strange - Into Shamballa [1986]

This book by Dan Green (writer/artist) and J. M. Dematteis (writer) featuring the Steve Ditko created character Doctor Strange.  It's part of Marvel's "graphic novel" line, launched in 1982. They'd stopped numbering the line shortly before this, but external numbering by release date puts it as #23 of 75 releases between 1982 and 1993.

DeMatteis had only written a fill-in for the character a few years earlier, but also wrote him extensively in DEFENDERS. He'd later have a short run on the regular series in 1995 and a DEFENDERS miniseries in 2005.  Green is mostly known as an inker, following some early 1970s full art jobs at DC, but he did pencil a few issues of DOCTOR STRANGE in 1983, as well as inking a Gene Colan run on the book before that.

I'll admit, the first time I read this book, maybe 25 years ago, I didn't care for it that much. It's told in an odd way, mostly through captions presenting a second person narration directly addressing Doctor Strange, lettered in an elaborate calligraphy by Ken Bruzenak (back before computer lettering was common, so presumably done by hand), with minimal dialogue. I recall it all seemed very pretty but more than a little pretentious.

I liked it much more this time around, maybe because I've read a lot more DeMatteis comics in that time, so I'm more used to his rhythms. I really had to slow down a bit reading it from my instinctive speed. I found it helped to read it out loud. Slowing down also helps to appreciate Green's artwork, which is way ahead of its time for fully painted super-hero artwork. Just lovely stuff when you take the time to appreciate it.

Overall it's an interesting interpretation of Strange, sent on a mission around the world to complete a spell at the behest of his deceased master. Not sure it's exactly in line with how I see the character, but I think it's a valid version. I remember being not entirely satisfied with his short 1990s run on the character, I'll have to try it again some day (I think it makes a brief reference to this story).

DeMatteis was interviewed for an Italian reprint of the story, posted here. The story's never been reprinted in English, but Marvel has of late taken to incorporating their "graphic novel" line in the appropriate place in their chronological Epic reprints, so this will probably be in one of those within a few years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]