Links, tools and gadgets

Thursday, June 23, 2022

State of the weblog address, 2022

Hm, I've actually posted quite a bit in the last few weeks, and not just obituary posts. That had to come as a surprise to my regular reader(s?).

So, what's up with that?  Well, I pass this "beautiful, gory layout" a few dozen times a day (and there's another bookcase, plus some stuff in boxes). 


This is almost every comic publication I have not in standard US comic book format, over 1800 individual items. But sometimes it seems I keep re-reading the same five books (slight exaggerations). Most of these I've read, although some not in decades (and my memory's not so good these days). A good number I started but never got around to finishing. Some of them I never got around to reading, either because I got them with a pile of other things I was more eager to read or wasn't in the mood for at the time and they just got lost in the shuffle. So I've decided to take a stab at (re)-reading all of it over the next few years. I figure at one book I day I can manage that in five years. So I grabbed two dozen of the books at a whim, pretty much one from each shelf, and every day I try to read at least a bit of each. I make up complicated rules on how much I can read a day (which I freely ignore if I get caught up in a section).  Been working pretty good so far, finished about 20 books in the last two weeks (replacing each in the reading pile with another from the same shelf).

This coincided with me having the urge to write some more on this weblog, so as you might have seen, lots of unusual activity lately. For some reason my instinct right now is to write too much, I feel an odd need to run down the history of the characters, the creators, the publisher and my personal history with the book. Trust me, the posts you see are nothing compared to the first drafts that make the screen, much less the zeroth drafts in my head.  I'll probably settle down a bit after a while, to just a quick comment on each book. Longer than a tweet, but not by much.

Also been trying to catch up a bit on some TV shows and movies. For a little while I've been mostly resorting to comfort watching, stuff I've been multiple times before that requires minimal attention. Got a huge backlog of available stuff to watch, as you might have seen on recent posts about THE PRISONER and BELGRAVIA. Expect more of those, but not exclusively British. Although I am almost done with TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY, and have some DOCTOR WHO to watch. And could catch up on TASKMASTER. And have heard good things about THE IN-BETWEENERS. Okay, maybe exclusively British...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]