Links, tools and gadgets

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Past, present and future comics, not in that order

Halfway through the Ninja Turtles brick of a book collecting the first few years of the original series.  I think I'm going to have to put it away and get back to it in a few months.  Fun stuff, but like most serialized comics doesn't really improve by reading a 600 page chunk in a few days.

Reading P. Craig Russell's adaptation of SANDMAN: THE DREAM HUNTERS, I think I enjoy it more than the illustrated prose version that came out way back when. I certainly like the art better.

Still going through the old MARSHAL LAW stuff, an issue every few days.  That original story isn't my favourite bit, I'm not sure I would have kept reading after two or three issues if that was where I started (the first one I read was the TAKES MANHATTAN one-shot, then some later stuff, then the original series).  Great art, but the story is a bit disjointed and unclear.  Good thing I know it gets better.



Upcoming Comic of Interest:
BLAZING COMBAT Softcover
Already out in hardcover, but you can save a few bucks by picking up the upcoming softcover edition collecting the four issues of war comics mostly written by Archie Goodwin from the mid-1960s, with art including Alex Toth, John Severin, Wallace Wood, Gene Colan and many more. Great stuff, very well reproduced, plus with some interesting interviews with Goodwin and publisher James Warren in the back.

ISBN-10: 1606993666
ISBN-13: 978-1606993668
Diamond DEC090865

Let's keep with old Batman for the old amusing cover, #147 by Sheldon Moldoff.  Boy, criminals in Gotham really are cowardly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]