Links, tools and gadgets

Friday, January 01, 2010

Daily stuff

Okay, time for one of those short-lived attempts to make sure I post something every day, which would be quite an increase from the 93 posts, many of them low content (like old comic covers which caught my fancy), that I had in 2009.



Me elsewhere:
Kirby Weblog : Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #136 [1971]
Ditko Weblog : Morlock 2001 #3 [1975]



Larry Marder has his State of the Beanworld, which among other interesting bits announces that he'll be in Toronto in a few months.  Which means I'll be in Toronto in a few months.  Well, I'm there now, actually, and will be here for a long time, but will definitely be there then.  Or something like that.  So, I get to meet my favourite living comic book artist who would actually go to a convention.  Cool.



Comics I'm reading these days, going through that big fat reprint of the early Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, first time I'm reading most of that stuff, I'm mostly familiar with it from later works by creators other than Laird and Eastman.  Pretty good, actually, I can see why it caught on, although obviously the degree to which it caught on (to the tune of $60 million that it recently sold for) had a lot to do with luck.

Got a couple of Lucky Luke books, an old western humour series by Rene Goscinny and Morris.  Maybe you have to grow up with it too really appreciate it, but I'm not liking it that much so far, not like Goscinny's Asterix.  Maybe it'll grow on me.


Also starting on a re-read of Marshal Law by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill, which will end with the collection of two prose adventures of the character that I just picked up and haven't read yet.  Unfortunately I don't have the Mask crossover, so hopefully I can find that, or it'll be included in the upcoming collection that Top Shelf is publishing, but I doubt it's essential anyway.

Also re-reading Eddie Campbell's Bacchus comics, in the scattered forms I have them in. I figure by the time I'm done I should have the big collection of Campbell's Alec stories in hand to keep me busy for a while, and then his next book, The Playright, should be out.  Maybe I should toss in From Hell, those First Second books, his adaptations of Alan Moore's performance art things, and those assorted other things he's done (even Catalyst: Agents of Change).  Guess we'll see if I overdose of Campbell before I get to that point.



Upcoming Comic of Interest:
THE TALE OF ONE BAD RAT new hardcover edition
One of the best comics of the 1990s, Bryan Talbot's story about a girl who comes to term with her history of sexual abuse through her travels through England and the works of Beatrix Potter gets an improved edition, now in hardcover, for just $20.
From Dark Horse
ISBN-10: 1-59582-493-6
ISBN-13: 978-1-59582-493-6
Diamond DEC090034



And because old habits die hard, a randomly amusing old cover, drawn by Win Mortimer:



For Robin at least that's a much nicer costume than he usually wears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]