Links, tools and gadgets

Sunday, August 21, 2005

The Muppet Show - Mark Hamill / Star Wars cast (89)

Episode 89 - Mark Hamill / Star Wars cast

This fourth season episode was a favourite of mine from the original run, being a young fan of the first Star Wars movies but not having a chance to see them in theatres multiple times (this being the same reason I was a fan of the Star Wars movie adaptation from Marvel, despite the art in the first one). It was great to see this little bonus back then. Of course, a quarter century later, Star Wars stuff is available all over the place, and is a lot less special, what with the Dark Lord of the Sith trying to sell me chocolate. So while I still like this episode now, it's more for the Muppet stuff than the Star Wars stuff (and Yoda is my favourite part of the later Star Wars movies, too). The Star Wars stuff is still fun, Mark Hamill really hams it up as both Luke Skywalker and himself, exactly what the role calls for, and where else are you going to get Chewbacca in a dance number (well, I haven't seen the latest movie yet, and I wouldn't put it past Lucas).

My favourite scene in this one would be the backstage sequence where Luke switches with his "cousin Mark Hamill", who tries out for the show, doing some awful impressions of Kermit and Fozzie and even worse singing. I also liked Hamill's later gargling Gershwin with Angus McGonagle, the Argyle Gargoyle, just for Angus' name if nothing else. Scooter's big number with Electric Mayhem was good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]